Facebook AND Twitter »

Friday, December 25, 2009

All I Want For Christmas

"I don't want a lot for Christmas,
There's just one thing I need.
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree.
I just want you for my own.
More than you could ever know."


I have that song from "Love Actually" in my head hard core! If I were to concentrate on the emotions I was having for most of the day then I'd have to say this Christmas sucked. However, looking back it was the best Christmas of my adult life so far. First of all The negativity today started when I got a new GPS for my car as a gift from the Rents and realized I couldn't use it because the cig lighter in my van was not functioning. Things snowballed emotionally from there. However I did not let on to the fam about most of it. That being said I ROCKED... no I RAWKED the gift giving this year. For the first time ever I truly enjoyed and was even excited by the giving of gifts this year. I mean it was just awesome. I put so much thought and care and creativity into gifts this year that I can't help a certain amount of sinful pride! I got each of my family members 2 gifts. I gave them all something unique to them and then the second was the same for all of them. They seemed to be a hit! The gifts I got were great too! "Let It Be" pajamas, a Yellow Submarine ornament, a Zombie Christmas Carol book, and a few others were just the tops! Oh! Also a lot of chocolate. Mom takes pride in her chocolate giving, and the stuff we got is the best stuff you can get.
After the initial gifting, and discounting the aforementioned negativity, the day was lazy and fairly relaxing. Mom made an awesome eggs, bacon, and fruit salad breakfast. I was back and forth trying to get laundry done, a show downloaded, and also trying to fix the cig-lighter in my van to no success. The I kind of settled into the could to watch a few movies. First was "Run Fat Boy Run!" which was awesome, Simon Pegg is one of my favorite comedians in movies, he always does such an excellent job! Then right after that we watched "The Golden Compass" which is mediocre as far as epic adventure films go but the cast is so enjoyable in it's own right with 2 of the finest Thespians alive today, Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee! After that was over we had dinner, which though subdued was still an excellent meal. The rest of my night was spent dealing with issues but it has left me now with excitement for things to come.
Today, (it has officially been the day after Christmas for 9 minutes now) I'm going with my family to see Sherlock Holmes. My family is big into literature in our own ways. Mom and Dad are vociferous readers, where as Lizzi and I are just very cultured casual readers. Lizzi being WAY more casual than I, and that's saying something! Holmes is a huge classic literary icon so the movie is something we all can appreciate. I believe my sister is also leaving tomorrow to join her boyfriend at his parents' house for New Years, so spending time with her is also a big motivation.
That would be another bog way this year has been so much better than previous years. I've been able to hang out with my dear and lovely sister. Last year I barely saw her and it seems we see each other less and less. This year however I think we made a bigger point of hanging out. Even though I don't think we're as close... or maybe just as involved as other sibling pairings I know of, I miss her often. When she first went off to college I started thinking about how she's going to be my family longer than anyone if everyone lives out a natural life. After Mom and Dad are gone, and sadly they will be one day, She'll hopefully still be there. I love my sister so much.
Anyway, stores will be back open tomorrow which means I might just be able to get my van fixed a little more. I'm hoping that all I need to do is buy a new fuse and my cig-lighter will be functional again which means I'll be able to use that awesome GPS device!
Finally, I spent a great deal of time thinking about, and a little bit of time, talking to Courtney. She stubbornly fought to bring me out of my funk, but more so force me to look at life from another angle. She's responsible for my current state of mind... well not responsible, but she can definitely take credit for changing my perspective. I hope she knows that her friendship is more meaningful than any gift... even an awesome Star Trek play-set! Thanks Courtney!

"Make my wish come true.
All I want for Christmas is you."

-S-

1 comments:

RilakkuSara said...

sounds like it turned into a not-too-bad xmas, after all! hope New Year was fun, or at least bearable ;)