Facebook AND Twitter »

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Intelligent Design, No Wait! Design Intelligence!

Professionally speaking, I had a major thing happen this past week. I finished my first design comission. I was asked to design some panel displays for kidscommons. Those are the things when you go to fairs or whatever that sit on tables and tell about whatever the person is marketing. Like those big cardboard things kids use in science fairs. You get it. So I really got dicked as far as pay, and I'm none to happy about it. Basically I got rewarded more work hours for my efforts. In a practical sense that means more money but I still have to work for it. Kind of a shit reward. None the less the pride and sense of accomplishment I have helps get over the other short comings. Whats weird is I actually kind of enjoyed doing it. I've never been into graphic design. Corporate shit in general makes me sick. It makes me think republican, yuck! That being said I've been inspired to maybe persue more design projects to give myself some other sources of revenue. On the other hand I want to keep it to a minimum, I don't want to end up in a job where I lose my feel of art as opposed to design.

-Ciao

1 comments:

Lee Cherolis said...

Art as opposed to design?! Seann My friend...we need to hang out more often. If nothing else, it would help to remind you that (proof in myself) a wall set up between good design and art is not only a bad idea, but a stupid one. Design is everywhere! In corporate (yes) and private endeavors, in sports, leisure, entertainment, academics, shit man. Design is in art, nature, science! You can't escape it. And you know what corporate is a fancy word for? Getting paid well for your work.