Facebook AND Twitter »

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Pro-ness

On Professionalism.

Professionalism is of course a relative term. Most would say it's an attitude. In a sleepy town like Columbus, Indiana it's an image. Three-piece suits, ties, shiny shoes... for men anyway. In a professional setting one is expected to be polite, articulate, responsive, and insightful. You should have a clean look to you, respectable. I agree with most of this. Thats why it's nice to be in a position where I'm regarded equally with all of my co-workers, above and below, despite the fact that exercise my individuality through outward appearance. I'm not looked down upon for wearing my bright orange Adidas Sala soccer shoes, or having a bandana wrapped around my wrist, and certainly not for having my increasingly famous fauxhawk. I'm not bragging, just making an observation, but it's just perfect for me to be just as successful as some guy somewhere who has to where uncomfortable suits everyday. Professionalism? I am very professional, I earn my way through merit not how I look. Professionalism? I don't want to be Donald Trump's next sycophantic stooge. The best thing about being an artist is people almost expect you to be different. It's not always a good thing, but it works none the less. Power to the individuals, who instead of complying with society seek to makes changes, if ever in small ways to forever change the way we percieve the world.

-Ciao

0 comments: